9.18.2006

A Solitary Triumph

    [Statistics show that the number of criminal women is considerably less in proportion than that of male criminals.]

      OH, the progress of Woman has really been vast
      Since Civilization began.
      She's usurped all the qualities which in the past
      Were reckoned peculiar to Man.
      She can score with a bat, use a rod or a cue;
      Her tennis and golf are sublime.
      Her aim with a gun is uncommonly true,
      But Man beats her hollow at crime.

      The strings to her bow are both varied and quaint;
      There are maids who can work with the pen,
      There are maids who can handle the palette and paint
      With a skill that's not given to men.
      There are ladies who preach, lady doctors there are,
      MPs will be ladies in time,
      And ladies, I hear, practise now at the Bar --
      But Man holds the record for crime.

      So it's hey for the jemmy, and ho for the drill,
      And hurrah for the skeleton keys.
      Oh, to burgle a house or to rifle a till!
      I am more than her equal at these.
      She may beat me at home, she may beat me afield;
      In her way I admit she is prime.
      But one palm at least I compel her to yield:
      I can give her a lesson in crime.

      -P.G. Wodehouse

2 comments:

David said...

So, am I safe to conclude from this that you think that men are inferior to women? That because men participate in more criminal activities than women we are somehow more dangerous? And that because women can do the same things as men that they are better than men? That you're replacing us? Is that it?

(This is all in jest. I'm not a sexist like JB)

Kait said...

Well,

Yup.

(Joking, joking - - I'm not sexist either . . . but the poem's certainly funny . . . And I don't think we could replace you guys. There's a mutual need, and we coexist dependent on one another . . . so your lives will be spared out of necessity.)